Decluttering Your Home Before The Big Move
Moving is exhausting – physically, emotionally, and mentally – and everyone who has gone through a move has experienced the three phases of moving out and cleaning.
Three Phases of Moving
First, you feel as if the mountain of moving and packing is unconquerable, but you move past it anyway and begin. Here, you want to give up and hire all of the help that you can. You may do it, you may not, but you will go through with it.
Second, you feel nostalgia come through you with everything you pack. People say that it is even easier to pack big items than small trinkets that you call memorabilia.
Finally, you have to make use of your time with efficiency. You may feel as if you are losing time, but you end up doing it anyway.
Whatever phase you are in right now, the truth of the matter is that you have the declutter things and feelings at the same time.
Practical Ways To Declutter
- With that, the following are more practical ways to declutter before a big move.
- Give it time. You may spend an hour a day decluttering your house. You may take a whole weekend with it. What matters is the time that you give yourself to prepare for the move.
- Start using all of those extra items that you keep. People like to save money by purchasing in bulk, but moving bulk products from your old house to the new one can be a pain. If you already have plans on moving away, you should start using all of those extra items.
- Bring items that matter to you. Whether it is a big item or those sheets that you like so much, you must bring issues that matter to you and make sure that you do not regret it later.
- Always check the expiration dates on your items. You may no longer be able to consume items near expiration dates because of the move, so it’s a good idea to get rid of them.
- When all else fails, donate your excess items as someone else may need it more than you.
Now that you know how to declutter, the next steps should be more manageable. Remember that the goal is to let go of things that no longer serve you. Decluttering is personal but moving is not. Contact a professional real estate expert today to help you find the right movers for that big move.
Contact An Agent Now
Free Home Valuation